Technical difficulties

Friday night I got home and noticed some slow down of the interweb tubing. It wasn’t terrible, but definitely wasn’t what I was paying for. Often this is just network congestion so I gave it some time. Went to dinner & came back.

Suddenly, the tubing was clogged completely.

I couldn’t pull up any websites. It wasn’t 100% down, more like 99.43% and here and there something would trickle across. I had to tether my iPad to my cell phone so I could hop on chat with a tech. Weirdest things – pings had 0% loss. ICMP worked just peachy. Regular TCP or anything else didn’t.

The switch part of the router was working fine. Every computer / printer / device inside could see the others with no issue, even HTTP.

By the way, when you talk to internet support and tell them you’re running Wireshark & seeing TCP packets get dropped after multiple Keep Alive requests, they automatically send you to someone who knows what they’re doing.

The tech couldn’t figure anything out. Said he’d send someone out on Monday.

Dammit.

I was 90% sure the router was going bad. I was having a hard time connecting to it to change the settings, so on Saturday morning, I went to the WalMart of computer stores – Best Buy – and picked up a new router.

Got home, plugged in the new router, and using my iPad I went online to see how the setup was supposed to work since it didn’t have a manual. 5 minutes of reading I suddenly realized I hadn’t turned on tethering. iPad was using the house wireless to browse the web.

Everything was working.

*sigh*

No idea what happened or why. I took the other router back, got a full refund, and now everything is fine. I don’t like not knowing what happened because now I don’t know if my router is wonky or if it was just something on Fios’ end.

I hate computers sometime.

posted by by Robb Allen @
Comments have been closed on this topic.